E.P.B.A. Field Maintenance Do's & Don’ts Games & Practices
*Any field maintenance/repair work or field equipment issues should be reported directly to the Field Maintenance Director via email on non-game days– Korey Wroboleski *Any on-going game day field preparation issues report directly to the Field Maintenance Director via email – Korey Wroboleski *Any issues that need immediate attention on game days contact the field crew supervisor listed below, directly for resolution – do not handle on your own *Game Day field set-up is managed off of the main field schedule – make sure all your games are in the field schedule and communicated to the Field Scheduler – well ahead of your game day – make sure this happens especially when rescheduling is required
*Coaches you have responsibilities: take care of your fields and they will take care of you. You need to help your city and EPBA field crews – specific field responsibilities are listed below – make sure you and/or a parent is assisting in maintaining your field quality and condition
*Use common sense when managing your field
* Tarps - Please fold them neatly before carrying them off the playing field. Use several players/coaches to avoid dragging them. Do not leave tarps on grass. *Always apply tarps at completion of game. Remember it may not look like rain but the sprinkler systems will flood out un-tarped mounds and home plate areas just the same.
* Use only aglime areas to conduct infield practices. Please do not allow players to take practice swings on grass areas.
* Raking - Rake away from the grass. Please do not rake aglime (dirt) into the grass. This includes muddy water being raked and dragged out of low spots after a rainfall.
*Rake an approximately 10 ft. diameter circle around bases and pitchers mounds after each practice and game. Level off and tamp down the low spots as best you can with the rake. Rake out home plate area leveling out and tamping down batters boxes and catchers position. Coaches assign a parent to manage this process for you.
* Rake batting cages & bullpens when practice or games are complete to prevent water from puddling up in the low spots.
*Do not allow players or kids to rake fields – coaches and/or parents only please
* Pick up trash in dugouts.
*Mother Nature - Rain, Lightening, Dry Dust Bowl Powder; create difficult field management conditions, we understand.....do the best you can to manage. Be SAFE! We will be there the next day to straighten things out.
*Game day inclement weather do not expect your fields to be lined……….field crews will be working to get fields playable and will not try to line in the rain.
*Do not use aglime or dry dust unless you know what you are doing or have spoken with Rick or a field crew member directly. Too much aglime on the field will cause additional maintenance and will deteriorate the quality of the field ongoing. You need to have direction from the field crew prior to any application. Do not put on mounds or in batters box without field crew confirmation.
*Do not take any soft toss against field fencing
*Do not take batting practice against the fence directly behind Home Plate………..no balls should be thrown directly against the home plate fence
*Take batting practice on ag lime areas only – do not have batting practice in grass areas
EPHS & Round Lake Stadium -
* Use on deck circles or aglime areas for practice swings - never the grass. * Do not rake or add field dry to the mounds Simply tarp these mounds after your game/practice and the field crew will do the repair.
* Batters & catchers boxes - Simply tarp
Franlo, Flying Cloud, Miller 8, Grill East & West
* Regular clay mounds. Rake out (away from grass) and fill in low spots in front of rubber and landing area. Tamp low spots in with rake or tamper. * Tarps - Please fold them neatly before carrying them off the playing field. Use several players/coaches to avoid dragging them. Do not leave tarps on grass. *Always apply tarps at completion of game. Remember it may not look like rain but the sprinkler systems will flood out un-tarped mounds and home plate areas just the same. * Please do not let mound turn to muck in a practice situation. We ask that you use your best judgment during games.
Korey Wroboleski Steve Rutledge
Field Maintenance Board Director Field Crew Chief